Thursday, January 17, 2013

How Did That Happen?

I am old. 
Or at least I feel that way. 
But let's not make this about me...because it isn't.
Lets talk about what is making me feel old.
Gavin turned 8 on Tuesday.
He couldn't be happier.
Me? I may have curled up in the fetal position and cried a little.
 Somewhere along the lines he went from no teeth,
to having lost some.
Not that having missing teeth changes the taste of cereal.
Fruity Pebbles...nasty to me...gold to an 8 year old.
In the form of abnormally colored artificially flavored fruit bits.
Gavin had to wait until dinner time to eat cake and open presents. 
I am sure it was torturous for him.

When the time came...he was ready.   


 I made an Apple Fritter Cake. I thought it was a good idea. 
Epic fail. No one liked it but Penny and I.
At least Gavin was gracious and said that even though he didn't like the cake it was still a good birthday anyways.
Not that bad considering, he has had some worse reactions to cakes in the past. 
The only thing he requested for his birthday was a certain Pokemon card.
We had to mess with him a little and put it in a bigger box.
Wrapped in another big box.
With a side of Skittles.
Until he unwrapped it.
Bliss.
Which happens to be the same feeling I get every time I look at him.

3 comments:

  1. Riley is turning 8 this year and it makes me so sad and it brings me back to my oldest who will leave me in less than 6 years and I start to cry unceasingly and then I remember that I'm almost as old as my mom was when she had her first grandchild and I cry even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I weird you out? Yes??? Thank you. I remember this blog post like it was yesterday ... (http://www.unguren.blogspot.com/2008/02/dark-blue.html) ... THAT'S how long I've been stalking your cute family on this cute little blog of yours. Gavin singing Dark Blue ... one of my all time favorites. He's getting so grown up Hannah .... it makes me sad too ... in a weird, i-don't-really-know-him sort of way. But sad, nonetheless. Anyway ... Happy Birthday to that cute boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are our kids getting so old?! I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. I don't feel like I should be that old! Glad to see it was a good one though!

    ReplyDelete