Tuesday, March 5, 2013

True Story

Some days, Canon's only redeeming quality is his cute little face. 
His face may be the reason I have not had a pack of wolves adopt him.
It is not that he is down right naughty...although sometimes...er...a lot of times...he is. 
It is that he just doesn't care.
Not in a bad way. 
Just enough to make a mother crazy.
When told that he is going to have some kind of punishment, he normally asks what the punishment is going to be so that he can weigh the pros and cons.
And by weigh...I mean that he could care less about what he is going to loose, how long he is going to have to stand in time out, how many stars will get taken away...
In other words he does what he wants anyways.
I try to be reasonable with the consequences he receives because of his actions.
It doesn't always work.
The other day he took some scissors and cut Laney's shirt because, as he said "He didn't think Laney would tell on him."
What kind of logical consequence is suppose to go with cutting someones clothes?!
Take away scissor time? Did that. Technically I think he wasn't supposed to be using scissors when he cut Laney's shirt. 
In other words that didn't work.
So I did what any normal mom would do....
I took away his clothes.
I said that if he was going to ruin someone else's clothes than he couldn't have clothes.
I know...I know...I am grasping at straws here...
but it seemed to have worked for now. 
Although if you ask him why he can't use scissors he will most likely tell you some nonsense like "because I cut a Pokemon card."
So...yeah...it probably didn't work.
Although it seems that his clothes don't really fit him anyways...
What I would really like to blame it on is his hearing..and not poor parenting.
The doctors say that he hears fine in the upper register, but doesn't hear well in the lower register. 
Which doesn't really explain his not listening, because I am sure that my shrill high pitched yelling voice he hears just fine.
I have got papers to prove it.
His ear surgery is set for May. They say it should take 6 weeks until he is completely healed. 
Thankfully he is a tough little kid.
Tough in spirit,
and tough to mother.
That is, until he says funny things. 
Then I forget that 5 minutes ago I wanted to strangle him because he didn't want to get dressed.

4 comments:

  1. Hope his surgery is successful!! And some days I swear the only voice my kids can hear is my yelling voice, drives me batty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly fantastic consequence...so sad that cute face has to have surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so can relate. Cuteness is the only thing that has kept emery alive. Canon certainly has the cute factor working in his favor. I am really curious about his surgery. My mother in law had surgery this year for her hearing too. I need to look into it to see if I can restore some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, i love your family SO MUCH!! I love the way you parent, and I love the way you look at things. It just cracks me up! And that Canon, he's a keeper for sure ... tough in Spirit, yes ... but man, cute as can be!!! (just like the rest of your kids) I hope his ear surgery goes well. Prayers for the young man with the killer smile!

    ReplyDelete